[T3] Flooding Gone, Still running rich, hesitating, hunting for idle...

Hi again,

My '72 fastback hasn't flooded its engine the last two days since I
replaced the #4 fuel injector.  Thanks for all the help.  In the end,
letting her run with new spark plugs for a couple of months while the
problem was intermittent, I was able to determine that cyl #4 was the
culprit.  The #4 plug was completely fouled.

However, it seems that the injector is only part of the problem.  She's
runs pretty well when warmed up, but is still hunting around for a good
idle speed and seems to idle very low at startup (around 700-800 but
then speeds up to 850-900 when she warms).  When I say hunting, I should
note that the engine revs in predictable intervals (like a metronome).

During this cold state, slightly opening the throttle seems to hit a
dead spot causing the engine to almost die.  Today, I let it run for a
couple of minutes during which she would intermittently spew out white
smoke that smelled like unburnt gas.

If I pull the pressure sensor vacuum hose from the intake air
distributor, the hunting goes away and the she idles close to 1000 rpm,
but there's still white smoke.  If I leave it disconnected, but cover
the whole on the intake air distributor, she's back to hunting.

This led me to believe that the auxilliary air intake was not
functioning properly.  So I removed the hose from the air cleaner to the
aux. Air intake, and tried feeling for any vacuum pressure (none) and
then I plugged it with my finger to see if cutting off the air supply
would have any effect (also none).  I then removed the hose from the aux
intake to the air intake distributor and her idle jumped to 2-3000rpm.

How open should the aux intake valve be at startup?  When does it close?
Where can I get one if mine is bad?  I assume it's temperature driven,
but I don't see a thermistor or thermoswitch attached to it electically.
Perhaps it has a coil that just monitors the engine temp?

Thanks again for all the help,

Wade

BTW, after warm up, the idle speed gets closer to normal (but still
hunting a bit) and I don't believe that the white smoke occurs once
she's warmed up but it's hard to tell.