Re: [T3] 6vlt VS. 12vlt

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 17:07, Todd wrote:
> > And how would I do this as well, I know I need to
> > change the flywheel, dist., coil, starter, wipermotor,
> > battery, generator and regulator but what else?
>
> As you see, it's a pretty long list.  If your car works fine on
> 6-volt, I'd suggest you leave it that way; do you really want to
> mess with the flywheel for an electrical "upgrade"?  You can
> install a 12-volt stereo by adding a second 6-volt battery in
> series, and just trickle-charge it periodically (or swap the
> two) when it goes low.

I have done probably a couple dozen 6-12V conversions in the past 30
years or so. I have always just left the 6V starter and flywheel in
place. They will last for many years running on 12V, if you don't crank
on the starter for long periods. If you have to crank for long periods,
there is something else really, really wrong.
.
--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)