Re: [T3] 6vlt VS. 12vlt

Well, despite what others might have to say about
6V electrical systems, I have regularly driven two VW's with
6V systems and have had very good luck.  My 1960 Beetle
had 71,505 miles when I first put it on the road, and 60k later,
the system still worked well.  My recently purchased 65 Square
also has it's original system unmolested and I have been VERY
impressed with how well it lights the road at night--even with
the wipers working....

The biggest consideration with 6V is to make sure your electrical
connections are clean and tight.  I have found that Wurth's
Contactoel (a contact cleaner) works well to clean electrical
connections and when "de-bugging" an electrical system, I always
use a small pair of pliers to tighten the female connecters and a
sharp knife blade to freshen the copper/brass surface of the male
spade connecter.

Allyn de Vars
1962 and 1963 1500 Karmann-Ghia Coupes
1965 1500 S Squareback (Sandy)