Re: [T3] Flickering Engine Oil Light at Idle

On 12 Aug 2002, at 20:08, Daniel Baum wrote:

> A couple more things: Occasionaly when I start the engine the oil light
> stays on for a second or so. If I press the gas pedal it goes off and stays
> off. Is this normal? I think it mostly happens when I haven't started the
> car for a few days, but I can't be sure of that.

This is probably normal. It always takes some time to refill the oil passages,
which naturally drain down when the engine is off. The longer the engine is off
the more complete the draindown.

> Lastly, I have to say that getting my chokes working has improved the
> feeling of the car more than anything else I have ever done to it. Not so
> much starting, which has always been OK, but mostly in the first few minutes
> after starting. It is far more stable and smooth, and far less prone to
> stall. Most people seem to think that the chokes are not necessary. Could
> the fact that my car is automatic be a factor?

Yes, with a MT you can adjust the throttle and clutch together to keep the
engine from stalling, but the persistent drag that the AT gives may be too
much for your cold idle to handle. The chokes provide an RPM boost to keep
you out of this low RPM "danger zone" until the engine is warmed up.