[T3] PARMA - CALI ROUTE comments added

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Cali people , please print this out.

This is just a resend to all . Some of the comments
given are added. In Santa Clarita, we may not meet at
magic mountain, look at comment , we can change for a
better spot in Castiac nearby, see comment for Santa Clarita.

our two groups (South Cali and San Fran) can meet in a
former airforce base as instructed by the comment. I am
packed with tools, parts , camping gear, my telescope.
I have not checked my car especially for the trip since it
is always checked for all of the long driving I make. I think all of
this driving and caravaning will be the most enjoyable for me.
I got 4 walkie talkies and a large format video camera ready.
I have no problem with money but I will still try to camp out
as much as possible. I have butterflies in my stomach
just thinking about the trip and all who I will meet.

LEON MARTINEZ

Part One of the trip places to meet:

++++++++++++++++++++Part 1 of 4 of the route++++++++

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, AUGUST 15TH THRU 16TH 2002 DRIVE ,
FOR THE 17 AND 18 EVENT, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.

******************PART ONE**************************
15th of August
1)                     (collection area)
San Diego

The San Diego people meet here at 7:00 AM

Presidio Hill Park in between Hwy 5 and Hwy 8 ,
Mission building at the top. Meet at the parking
lot in front of building.

to HWY 5 North
35 miles to
2)                    (collection area)
Oceanside

We hang around and collect then at 8:00 AM, we leave.

Scott Wrote :
Ralph's off of Oceanside Blvd right off
of the 5. It's easy off and easy back on to the freeway.

35 miles to
3)                    (collection area)
San Juan Capistrano

 We arrive around 8:45 AM and leave at 9:00 AM

Matt wrote:
If you are going to stop in San Juan Cap, I would suggest
right off the Ortega Hwy Exit, off to the left (from the
Northbound exit) there is a gas station and a bunch of fast
food places, and there are gas stations off the the right as
well.  Any of these will work.

45 miles to
4)                    (collection area)
Fullerton

 We arrive around 10:00 AM and leave at 10:15 AM

Ryan wrote:
It is right off the 91 near the intersection of the 91/
5 freeways. There is are restaurants/coffee shops/and
gas stations all over that area. It is very convenient.

Avoid getting off at LA because of giant traffic jams

65 miles to
5)                    (collection area)
Santa Clarita

 We arrive around 11:30 AM and leave at 11:45 AM

Pat Kennedy wrote:
I would suggest that a good place in Santa
Clarita to meet and have a pit stop would
 be at Magic Mountain Parkway and the 5
freeway. There is a large Chevron Station
there with food and restrooms. Within a
quarter mile, there are 5 fast food
restaurants and several regular restaurants
if any one needs hot food. There are also
3 more gas stations too. Get off at Magic
Mountain Parkway and turn left at the
bottom of the ramp. This will have you
go under the 5 freeway and headed toward
Magic Mountain. You will see the Chevron
Station at the next traffic light. Be in
the left turn lane to get to it.

 This was just added :
Magic Mountain is into its summer program and the freeway exit at Magic
Mountain Parkway is under construction and may be a bit backed up.....I hope

it will be clearing up by then, but...... If traffic is backed up to bad,
here is plan "B". Continue on the "5" freeway about another 4 or 5 miles to
the city of Castaic. Take exit "Lake Hughes Road". At the bottom of the off
ramp you will see a very large McDonalds restaurant. Turn right onto "Lake
Hughes Road" to the stop sign. This street is "Castaic Road". Turn left onto

"Castaic Road" at the stop sign. There is lots of parking at McDonalds and
the street on both sides of the road. There are several large travel center
gas stations and fast food restaurants within walking distance to the
McDonalds. There is also a shopping strip mall across the street along with
Burger King.

Why don't you just plan on stopping in Castaic instead of at Magic Mountain.

It will be less congested and much better parking and such. It is also at
the
bottom of the start of the "Grapevine" hill going up the grade to
Bakersfield. This will allow everyone and their cars to cool down before the

grade. Just be aware that if you pass "Lake Hughes Road" it is the last exit

till the top of that grade.... about 5 hard miles of up.

100 miles to
*******************PART 2***************************
---Hwy 5 North to Hwy 99 to Sacramento---
1)                     (collection area)
Bakersfield

     We arrive at 1:00 PM and leave at 1:10 PM

60 miles to
2)                     (Collection area)
Tulare

     We arrive at 2:15 PM and leave at 2:25 PM

45 miles to
3)                     (Collection area)
Fresno

     We arrive at 3:15 PM and leave at 3:30 PM

55 miles to
4)                       (???????)
Merced

     We arrive at 4:30 PM and leave at 4:40 PM

40 miles to
5)                       (???????)
Modesto

     We arrive at 5:15 PM and leave at 5:25 PM

65 miles to
6)(collection area and San Fransisco and
                 coast cities route SWARM merge area)
Sacramento

 We arrive at 6:40 PM and leave at 7:00 PM

Collection suggestion from Hal:

I did some brain-picking over on the cal-look.com forum
and most everyone suggested the Arden Fair Mall in
Sacramento as a good meeting point.  Here's the best
direction/location info that was posted:
If your coming up 99' from Stockton, you will
go through the downtown area, after you pass downtown
 you will go over the river, the first turn off after
the river is exposition, then next is Arden, Take
arden to the right and you can get off there and the
 mall is on your left....but I would rather meet at
a VW place, so if you go up 3 more exits to
Watt Ave, take a right, and then immediatly on the
left you see the BEST VW shop in Sacramento, Ca
call Victory Auto Parts..I'm sure Paul and Tony would
love 30 cars to pull up all at once. (N/T) (Yustrn)

...so that should help finalize that part of things.
 Personally, I think the idea of meeting at the VW
shop would be
pretty cool. =)

 Just giving you an update on Sacramento traffic.  From what I've been able
to gather (from my personal experiences, and asking coworkers) traffic
volume is heavy, but avg speed on the freeways between 6 - 7 is 35 - 50+
mph.  In other words, there's no real way to tell how traffic will be from
day to day.

On 80 East (from San Fran) Traffic is usually backed up pretty far. . .at
least to the I-5/80 interchange.  But as I said, high volumes, steady flow
of about 45mph on average.

99 North is clear all the way in to Sacramento, until it changes to the
Capital City Freeway (80 business loop) there is a 2 mile section that is
always backed up (drastic turn in freeway, people don't know how to drive up

here) after that it's the same as 80, high volume steady flow.

As for a meeting point, McLellan Park (Formerly McLellan Air Force Base)
would make for a pretty good meeting point.  It is accessible by both groups

without having to make any detours, 3 miles from freeway, has TONS of
parking, cheapest gas in town (Military rates, but civilians are now allowed

to fuel up there) & a food court.

50 miles to
*********************PART 3**************************
        --- From HWY 99 taking HWY 80 East---
1)
Meadow Vista

     We arrive at 7:50 PM and leave at 8:00 PM

60 miles to
2)
Truckee

     We arrive at 9:10 PM and leave at 9:20 PM

35 miles to
3)              ---NEVADA---

Reno

     We arrive at 9:55 PM

(Got to rest and have some food big time at this point,
let's make it a campout)

               and leave on AUGUST 15 at 9:00 am

Jeff wrote  '67 Sqbk,
     We arrive at 6:35 PM and leave at 6:50 PM
Assuming you get gas in Sacramento, you won't need to
gas up again until Reno. If anyone does need a bit more
once on the road. Auburn has cheap price gas. Exit off
of Foresthill road, just past the three exits to central
Auburn. Lots of stations in the area, along with plenty
of food joints. Nothing much from Auburn to Reno. A few
places, but don't count on it. Colfax is one though.

The real advice concerns I80 from Auburn east. There is a
long steady uphill from Baxter up the hill. It's not real
steep, but it is relentless in it's grade. If anyone starts
to get hot, pull over and cool down. At the very top of the
pass is a large rest area. Very nice to be in the cool
mountains after the heat of the valley. A good place to
regroup after the grade. The grade will probably serve to
separate the group depending on each vehicle's power curve.

Another area to re-group is just before the rest area.
Boreal Ridge ski area has a large parking lot that should
be accessible. They do some bicycling/hiking in the area
so there is plenty of room to re-group before heading
downhill to Reno and the heat again.

182 miles to
*******************PART 4**************************
AVERAGING 50 MPH
1)
Alturas, CA

We arrive at 12:30 PM and leave at 1:00 PM

193 miles to
2)
Burns, Oregon

We arrive at 5:00 PM and leave at 5:30 PM

142 miles to
3)
Parma

We arrive at 8:00 PM to 8:30 PM