From: type3@vwtype3.org [mailto:type3@vwtype3.org]On Behalf Of David
Yaghoubian
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 8:14 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] T3s in Iran/travel picts

Hi All-

Just back from a trip to Iran, where I was surprised to see many T3s still
kicking. Much of the climate there is like California and Arizona, so I'd
say parts are a bigger problem than rust.  Unfortunately I wasn't quick
enough with the camera to get snaps of ones driving (such as a thrashed
white '65 notch in Isfahan, or a "cal look" fasty in Tabriz) but my wife
Jen and I did find two parked fastys in Shiraz, and a tired square in
Tehran. Here are some snaps:

Shiraz - 69 (?) fastback
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~davidyag/Shiraz-1.JPG
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~davidyag/Shiraz-2.JPG
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~davidyag/Shiraz-3.JPG

Shiraz - 71 (?) fastback. (dig the chain license plate frame :)
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~davidyag/Shiraz-5.JPG

Tehran - 67 square
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~davidyag/Tehran-11.jpg

Although Iran is very inexpensive to travel in/around, we blew waay too
much money and thus are going to have to miss out on the Swarm
<sob-sniffle>. So have a blast and take some great photos, will yas?!

Dave Y.
68 Square

PS (OT) There are tons of other aircooled VWs in Iran, and in *much* better
shape than the T3s. I saw a pristine Thing in Tehran, some clean Ghias, all
kinds of transporters (still in use as ambulances in some cities) and many
bugs... including this poor, broken down 60s-something buggy in Tehran.

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~davidyag/im002609.jpg

PPS Parting shot: Family of 4 riding on an Iranian-made Honda 175.
Especially considering Tehran's no-brain, insane, homicidal traffic I title
it "sketchy.jpg"

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~davidyag/sketchy.jpg