[T3] Flickering Engine Oil Light at Idle

<x-flowed>Hi,

I'm still trying to diagnose a problem where my engine oil pressure light flickers at idle after the car has warmed up. The last time I posted, someone responded that this may be caused by an overheating engine, so I've been checking out my cooling system.

My car is a 1968 Notchback, with everything on the engine stock.

Here's what I've learned:

1) I'm missing an elbow pipe that connects the cooling fan housing to the rear heat exchanger on the right side. The left side one is ok. Can this cause overheating? Follow this link to view the cooling fan housing and rear heat exchanger:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gtrask7/vwp?.dir=/Volkswagen&.dnm=Missing+Elbow.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

2) I'm not sure that my thermostat is functioning correctly. It was expanded fully after driving it yesterday, and I checked it a couple of hours after driving, and it was still expanded fully. I checked it this morning before I drove to work and it was only about 1/2 inch smaller than it was last night. My understanding from searching previous posts is that my air flaps are problably open all the time, which would not contribute to an overheating problem. Can you confirm this? Here's a picture of my thermostat as it looked this morning:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gtrask7/vwp?.dir=/Volkswagen&.dnm=Thermostat.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Let me know if you have any advice for me. I saw from previous posts that Gene Berg makes a dipstick that will alert you if your oil is too hot. I'm planning on picking up one of these so that I can confirm that my car is really overheating.

Gary