Re: [T3] motor in (axle leak)

On 12 Aug 2002, at 0:26, Parker-Durost wrote:

>     However, during disassembly I noticed the energizing spring had
> popped off the U shaped seal (both sides), and the third time the
> spring had somehow gotten bent.  I must be assembling the bearing
> cover in such a way as to cock the inside lip?  This would certainly
> allow the oil pass by and get to the weep hole.  I carefully
> reassembled (w/o the mangled energizer) and the drip appears to have
> stopped.  I will need more gaskets and a spring, so another day lost,

I may be wrong about needing a paper gasket INSIDE the brake backing
plate. It's been a LONG time since I worked on one of those.

You could reuse the garter spring from your old seal if it is still around. This
is just one more reason not to throw away old parts before the new ones are
in there and working properly.

It may be easier to install the cover with the seal BEFORE you slip in the
little steel ring that the seal rides on. This way the seal lip can't get pushed
backwards. I think that spacer ring usually has a bit of a champfer on the
outer end, however, to allow you to work the seal into position.