Re: [T3] motor in (axle leak)

    I'm using only one gasket on the bearing housing side.  The axle
seal and small o-ring are correctly installed.   I reversed the
orientation of the large o-ring and the paper gasket and both sides
continued to drip.  I removed one side and noticed the paper gasket
got cut by the bearing housing, so this is no improvement.
    However, during disassembly I noticed the energizing spring had
popped off the U shaped seal (both sides), and the third time the
spring had somehow gotten bent.  I must be assembling the bearing
cover in such a way as to cock the inside lip?  This would certainly
allow the oil pass by and get to the weep hole.  I carefully
reassembled (w/o the mangled energizer) and the drip appears to have
stopped.  I will need more gaskets and a spring, so another day lost,
Parma coming up! Yikes.

Peter Parker
'66 Square; Phillip
Portland, OR

> The question I have is where to put the paper gasket (kit comes with
two) in
> relation to the backing plate and the large bearing O.D. o-ring. If
> remember correctly, when I assembled it, I used one gasket on the
bearing
> cover, with the o-ring up against the bearing housing.  But because
the
> gasket I.D. matches the bearing O.D., the gasket gets partly folded
into the
> bearing cover chamfer (intended for the o-ring).  It sounds like I
put the
> o-ring on the wrong side of the gasket, but at the time this didn't
seem
> right.

I think they came from the factory the way you did it, with the paper
gasket
pressed backwards into that triangular cavity that seems like it was
destined
for an O-ring. I have done them the other way, with the O-ring in the
cavity
and that also seemed to work just fine.

Did you install the other paper gasket on the inside face of the brake
backing
plate?

Did you install a new small O-ring? Is your new oil seal installed
with the lip
facing in? (It should face in.)