Re: [T3] Oil....?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hello-

> I agree with Keith's comments about filters on the oil pump inlet, but all
the D-
> Jetronic cars have both gas filters on the inlet side of the pump. This
still
> causes no problems because the flow rate is relatively small, as is the
> viscosity.
>
> Later FI systems went to putting filters after the pump. The only
difference I
> can see is that this keeps wear particles from the pump from making it
into
> the rest of the FI system. That and the fact that the filters have to take
> pressure, so they cost $25 instead of $5.

It is a general rule-of-thumb to put filtering on the pressure-side of a
given system if possible as it typically results in better filtration.  This
is true of many systems (not just automotive alone).  It is also a general
rule-of-thumb to put a very coarse "filter" ahead of the pump on the suction
side to keep out large particles (like the sump screen).  Sometimes, of
course, cost and/or complexity get in the way, but generally for good
filtration, it is highly preferred to follow the rules...

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.LNengineering.com