Re: [T3] Oil....?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>There will probably be an ongoing discussion on oil until the roaches are
the only thing left populating the planet.  I have heard things anywhere
from "only use straight 30w" to "I only use 20-50 full synthetic" and
anything in between. I have heard "don't run synthetic in a vw that does not
have an oil filter" I have heard "only idiots run 5-30w" the list goes on
and on. All of these statements have been from "respectable" air-cooled
industry people, or people who should know what they are talking about.

Take a look at this thread, there a probably 25 posts in it, and 20
different oils that people are using

http://shoptalkforums.com/bbs/NonCGI/Forum18/HTML/002490.html

I use straight 30w (Castrol) personally in all my air-cooled vw's. It works
fine, and I don't have any complaints, so I personally don't see a huge need
to switch to something else. That said I have been considering switching to
a synthetic in my (mumble mumble car that isn't a t 3 mumble mumble) It is
full flowed, with filter so at least that is one purported gremlin that can
be avoided. But I am actually loath to do so because of all of the
statements various people (either on this list of on shoptalk forums) have
made that synthetics are not good to run.

Drake
72 square "Ginger"
63 bug "Christine"
San Jose, Ca.