[T3] Idling problems and white smoke

Hi,

I've recently bought a 1972 fuel injection fastback auto which prior to
my ownership had been stood in a field for a year since it was last run.
I have since driven about 800 miles in it, but have been getting some
idling problems in the last couple of weeks. Since I've bought it I've
replaced the fuel pump, coil, condenser, points, spark plugs and one of
the rubber connectors from the elbow joint on the heat exchanger as it
had ruptured. I've also cleaned the trigger contacts in the distributor
and this did briefly make the engine run a lot better. The problem is
that it is hunting quite a lot whilst idling and I have noticed this
morning that some white smoke is coming from the exhaust too (although
this has not been happening until now). I've still got to set the
timing, set the throttle butterfly, and make sure the valve clearances
are correct this week but I was wondering if anybody could point me
towards what the smoke indicates (hopefully not worn rings!) - this
engine has less than 31k miles on it and it really shouldn't be running
this badly.

Joe
72 FI Fastback
70 Square