Re: [T3] Over heating, timing?

On 6 Aug 2002, at 9:32, Mark McAtee wrote:

> I never even messed with the
> adjustment screw as I had thought, it was only the cap screw plug that covers
> the adjustment screw.

I don't think the 68-9 PS has a separate cap screw. If you have a cap that is
just ~1/2" diameter, then it is likely that this is not the correct PS for your
car.

> (Can anyone explain this gap difference?)

If you have an ignition system that can produce higher voltage you can afford
to open up the plug gap somewhat because the higher voltage still be able to
jump the larger gap. OTOH, this requires everything else in your ignition
system to be in better shape, because the higher voltage increases the
chance that the spark will find another place to go to ground. I've had a lot of
trouble with type 3 engine in damp weather tending to run poorly because the
gap was too large.

> I have very cautiously timed the car with the vacuum advance disconnected
> and plugged, RPM @ 900, engine warm, valves set, at 0deg as stated in all
> the literature that I have. (Is this how all of you do it?)

This sounds perfect.

> Here is the problem; when driving on the freeway, about 65 mph (also
> happened once on a hill), the car cut out as if only running on about 2
> cylinders, I limped of the exit ramp and pulled over. The engine was
> literally smoking hot.

The 68-9 FI injectors have ground wires that run to bolts to the heads. These
often lose good electrical contact when they are heat cycled a few times.
When this happens you will lose both injectors on that side. You can fix this
by running a ground wire extension to some part of the case that does not
get as hot, or you can install a Belleville washer under the heads of the
ground screws.

> After running the first full tank of gas through, I recorded 23 mpg.

Quite reasonable.

> I believe that I do have all the tin installed? When I am looking down on
> the engine I can see the ground on both sides of the engine, is this
> supposed to be closed off? And I don't know much about the air valve
> controlled by the thermostat?

It is completely normal to be able to see the ground all around the type 3
engine. Of course you should not be able to see THROUGH the engine. As
Mark stated, your cooling air intake bellows at the rear of the engine MUST
be installed and in good condition.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org