Re: [T3] Cleaning the Throttle position sensor

On 6 Aug 2002, at 9:59, Kooser, Jacob wrote:

> Jim, what do you use as a lubricant for those?

I think I've usually just used Phil Wood grease, a specialty bicycle grease,
but any light grease is probably fine.

The TVSs die when the sliding contacts wear into the G-10 fiberglass PC
board material. The major wear actually does not occur to the gold PC board
plating. When the PC board is pitted deeply enough that the sliding contact
can now touch 2 adjacent gold contacts, the FI will no longer work right when
the throttle is in this position.

Late replacement TVSs, came with what appears to be a kind of green teflon
overlay on top of the fiberglass board and under the gold contacts. I suspect
that these last "forever" but that's a bit hard to test. ;-)

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054