Re: [T3] Chokes

On 2 Aug 2002, at 22:29, Allan Williams wrote:

> Letting your engine idle for excessive periods when cold will do more harm
> than good. The engine will warm up way too slowly, causing more wear! It's
> best to let it idle for about 1 min, just to make sure the oil is
> circulating, then drive off, use small throttle openings, and keep it under
> 3500rpm.

I think you're right on the money here. You just need to idle long enough to
get the oil running everywhere, then the best way to warm up the engine is to
drive it moderately.

> I didn't have a choke on my beetle (lowest temps here are still warmer than
> freezing, even on the coldest frostiest nights), and it was ok, idle speed was
> too low when cold, other than that there were no drivablility issues. I'd still
> have the choke operating just a little, to keep it running at the right speed.
> Theres not enough raw fuel running into you cylinders to wash All the oil away,
> is there?

If you're driving the car the choke actually has very little effect, so there
should be no problem with having it enabled, as long as you don't let the
engine idle for long periods when cold.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org