Re: [T3] hot and lean

On 1 Aug 2002, at 20:37, DaveB wrote:

> >On 30 Jul 2002, at 22:54, DaveB wrote:
> >
> >> What I did notice was that the engine sounded a bit different,
> >>with kind of a faint knocking noise.
> >
> On 31 Jul 2002, at 07:15, Jim Adney wrote:>
> >I'd check to make sure the flaps were opening properly and that the fan
> >housing was still securely fixed to the case. Then work on your jetting.
>
> The flaps are working properly and the fan housing is secure.  Jets are on
> the way.
>
> The knocking noise gets louder as the engine warms up.  After a 30 minute
> drive it becomes more noticeable.  Any diagnostics  you might suggest?

I'd be worrying about rod bearings or loose heads. Try using a long
screwdriver like a stethoscope to try to figure out where the noise is coming
from. Once you start doing this you will realize that there are all sorts of
places you can stick the screwdriver and the engine noises are somewhat
different from each of them.

It could just be loose valve adjustment....

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054