Re: [T3] Chokes

My opinion, YMMV:

Letting your engine idle for excessive periods when cold will do more harm
than good. The engine will warm up way too slowly, causing more wear! It's
best to let it idle for about 1 min, just to make sure the oil is
circulating, then drive off, use small throttle openings, and keep it under
3500rpm.

The engine makes more heat when porducing more power, so idling it will only
create a small amount of heat - that heat is also in the wrong parts. Idling
it may warm up the heads, but the heat won't transfer through to the rest of
the engine very fast. If you drive it, it will warm up much faster (you *DO*
have your thermostat and flaps in right?).

I didn't have a choke on my beetle (lowest temps here are still warmer than
freezing, even on the coldest frostiest nights), and it was ok, idle speed
was too low when cold, other than that there were no drivablility issues.
I'd still have the choke operating just a little, to keep it running at the
right speed. Theres not enough raw fuel running into you cylinders to wash
All the oil away, is there?

Allan W  :-)
New Zealand
58 Beetle