Re: [T3] cleaning the generator

On 1 Aug 2002, at 16:10, Chris K wrote:

>  I need to clean the inside of my generator and I was wondering after I clean
>  the armature with rubbing alcohol, what is better to use to perfect it. Fine
>  sandpaper or steel wool? The inside of my generator is gunked up from oil and
>  isn't putting out enough volts. 12v at idol, then 13v when I rev the motor. I
>  keep going through batterys.

Clean it out if you like, but most of this dirt won't hurn anything. It is most
likely that you need a new voltage regulator. I recommend a genuine Bosch.

It is also likely that your batteries are fine, they were just run down.

When I clean up a generator I generally just wipe things out carefully with a
rag to remove the thick accumulated dirt. Be careful not to disturb the
insulation on the field windings and don't polish the armature at all; it will just
rust again that much faster. The commutator should be clean and the
brushes should be long enough that their back ends stick up above their
guide sleeves.