Re: [T3] FI problems

Hey,

> Since your FI worked briefly I think we can assume that your brain is not
> fried. In that case, there are only a few things that will keep the fuel
pump
> relay from turning on: no power to the brain, no ground to the brain, bad
> wiring to the fuel pump relay.
>
> Check the twin wires that come into the LF corner of the engine
> compartment carrying power to the brain. They must BOTH be in good
> condition.

Yes you were right. The twin wires that come out of the main FI relay were
not connected as snug as they should. The fuel pump relay is working again!
So as I see it, the twin wires are both grey; one has 2 black stripes, the
other has one black stripe. Right now, the wire with one stripe has voltage
with the ignition in the "on" position, it is hooked up to pin 16 on the
computer. The grey wire with two black stripes doesn't get any voltage, and
it's hooked up to pin 24 on the computer.

Without seeing a wiring diagram I would assume that the twin wires from the
main FI relay would both get power when the ignition is on. I can't see any
visible breaks, and a resistance check on both wires says 0 ohms. Am I
supposed to have power going into both pins 16 and 24?

I have tried to start it after double checking the timing, but not
successful. The engine catches every once in a while, but doesn't continue.
Seems to me that the starter is not cranking fast enough, I took it out and
gave it a good cleaning and checked all electrical contacts at the steering
column and under the car. Wow this is a lot of work.

Just a side note: I noticed that the fuel pump relay clicks on and off at
regular intervals when I'm starting, and it also goes on full time when I
put the auto shifter in reverse. Is this normal?

-Rich