Re: [T3] Chokes

<x-charset iso-8859-1>>My engine now has two working chokes, thanks to two NOS heating elements
that I have fitted recently. Now, the question is: should I have bothered?
I live in a very hot climate (Israel) especially at this time of the year,
and I have read Muir's derogatory comments about them.

Muir = choke moron.

Chokes = no warm up time.  The chokes are there so you don't have to wait
for it to warm-up.  Driving it warms it up faster anyway.  A properly tuned
engine starts and runs with no pedal pumping and drives away with no stalling.

>Also, how can I know in future that the chokes are working OK, being hidden
as they are under the air cleaner?

When the chokes are working properly, you will have a higher idle until
they move the carb. fast idle cam around.  If the chokes get stuck or are
not working (no power, whatever), your car will be stuck on high idle. This
doesn't really come into effect when it's real hot out, though.

Some anti-Muir choke info:
http://www.type2.com/archive/vanagon/48675.html

Not following your shop manual = You will burn in VW hell, sinner.

- Everett "Be healed, sweet 1600cc powerplant" Barnes