Re: [T3] Starting issues continue...

On 30 Apr 2002, at 15:39, James Altemus wrote:

> When I popped the distributor cap, I saw that in fact the mark on
> the Beetle distributor is incorrect, and that the rotor was
> pointing toward the back of the motor, specifically at one of the
> bolts for the fan housing.  Once I confirmed that one of the
> distributor cap terminals pointed in that general direction, I
> moved the #1 plug wire there, then moved the rest around
> accordingly.  To confirm this, please refer to
> www.jamesaltemus.com,

This looks right now.

> Since I determined that the fuel pump I installed is bad, I've been
> trying to run the car off a coffee can configuration I rigged up.

With gas in the coffee can, just put it on the roof of the car and run
gas directly to the carbs, bypassing the pump. There will be
enough pressure to fill the carbs. That removes one more
undertainty from the picture. You should be able to look down the
throats of the carbs and see gas squirting into the bore when you
depress the throttle.

> I grabbed my timing light and checked to make sure I was getting
> spark, and at the right time.  Unfortunately, although I was able to
> get a signal from the timing light (and therefore confirming that I
> was getting spark) the motor wasn't turning fast enough to confirm
> that I was getting spark at the right time.

Try static timing it.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org