Re: [T3] Air Cleaner to Air Box Hose Question

> > Total long shot.  I only ask because I was checking the fuel pressure (a
> > solid 30.5PSI, 72 FI) and had the air cleaner off to adjust the pressure
> > regulator and the car idled fine but there was no throttle response (it's
> > just habit to give the car a little gas when I turn it over) and i remember
> > my FI beetle ran fine without the air cleaner.
>
> Your type 3 FI will run fine without an air cleaner, too. I don't think there is
> any chance this is your problem.

Okay, thanks.  But my car had no throttle response without the air cleaner (The RPM would
not rise above idle).  I should probably check other things though, or maybe try this
again to see if it was an anamoly.

> Do you mean Pressure Sensor? If so, this is a very reasonable thing to try.
> The pressure regulator is clearly working right. You tested it when you
> measured the fuel pressure.

Yes, I mean the Pressure Sensor.  Thanks for catching that.

> One more possibility is that the fuel supply is restricted, so that there is not
> enough flow to maintain the pressure when the engine is both cold and under
> load. Once the engine warms up the mixture leans out and the flow might
> then be adequate. The test for this would be to connect up a pressure gauge
> so that you can watch it while you drive. If the pressure drops when you try
> to drive on a cold engine, then you've pretty much found your problem.

We actually did this Saturday morning.  A friend sat in the backseat with the pressure
gauge.  The pressure remains a constant 30.5 PSI throughout the driving range, engine
warm or cold.  So my fuel pump, lines and regulator seem to check out.  Although bumping
the pressure from 28PSI to 30 PSI seemed to smooth things out and improve the overall
drivability when cold.

Thanks for answering my "way-out" question about the air cleaner elbow.  It's something
I'd like to replace at some point because it's so worn, but it's good to know it's not my
concern now.

=====
all new and now with genuine meat by-products...
http://www.machobeagle.com