[T3] Engine sounds (was distributor misalignment)

<x-flowed>(jim adney)
>While it's probably not as interesting, I think the most useful sounds
>would
>come from a contact microphone.

Yes good idea.  With a contact mike, things
should be pretty reproducible, especially if all cars are
squares or all are fasties, etc.  Experienced people
such as many of you on the list can hear problems, and I
bet a microphone, when arranged properly, can as well.

(brian castle)
>And then it would need to be pretty
>good quality, like a nice mic going to a DAT or even better, and 96K >sound
>card on a good PC.

OK, that would do it, I suppose.  Many of us probably have access to a
computer (given that we are using this list).  Is a "standard"
sound card not up to the task?  What would be a nice
mike?  I would guess that one could be obtained with a suitable driver
to do analog-to-digital conversion and the signal would show up
as a file on your computer.  Probably even comes with code
to transform the signal into the frequency domian.

Actually, this must be essentially how a knock sensor works
on modern cars, but maybe over a more limited frequency band?

well even if it won't work I still want to try.
If you see a strange looking guy wanting to record your engine
at parma, its probably me.

Jim Rustad
71 FI Square
Kennewick WA