Re: [T3] Distributor misalignment (PPS)

<x-flowed>That would be really interesting.
Actually, one of the projects I was thinking of for parma
would be to record a large number of type3 engines
and then do an analysis of the frequency spectrum
of each engine.  I have computer code
which does this (they are easily available on the web)

  This could be a useful diagnostic
if the recording could be standardized.
For example worn bearings may produce a band
at frequency X, lifters at frequency Y, loose
rod at Z, and so on.  Of course this may be a pipe
dream, maybe you would just get a big ugly broad
band...but it would be worth a try.  There is somewhere
on the web a recording of different engine sounds
(I think made by John Muir!)but I couldnt get much out of it
by listening.

  Only problem is
I don't know much about recording equipment.
Ideally the microphone would be cheap enough for everyone
to buy the same one.  Another idea would be to have a circulating
microphone which everyone could borrow (a possibility on
this high-integrity relatively small type III list!).  Then
the person could record their engine and could compare the
spectrum to the database (provided on this site of course!).

Any audiophiles out there who know how to record sounds cheaply?

Jim Rustad
71 FI Square
Kennewick WA

</x-flowed>