Re: [T3] engine assembly techniques

On 29 Apr 2002, at 8:23, jim rustad wrote:

> (1) is "green" a standard color with thread locker.  That is is
> green permatex threadlocker at all similar to green loctite?
> Also, there seems to be little disagreement that one ought to
> use this stuff on your rod nuts.  Does anybody advise against this?

Regardless of what people say, color means almost nothing here. Loctite
makes several different green threadlockers, as well as several different reds,
a couple of purples, etc. You need to go by the product number and the data
sheet.

> (2) There seems to be alot of disagreement about using "assembly lube"
> or lubriplate.  As two of my most trusted sources (berg and the bentley
> manual) disagree, I thought I would ask the list.  I am guessing the
> difficulty one gets into with assembly lube is it might mess up the oil
> circulation?

Well, you need something in there. You just don't want it to be too viscous. I
like to burnish Molycote-G into my bearings and then smear a little STP. Put
some (just enough to cover the surfaces so they are sealed) on all the pump
parts, so it sucks right away.

If you're putting an engine together that will be started up in less than a week
then just use motor oil. The problem arises if it's going to take you a month
to get everything together. In that case the motor oil will all drain out.

I still just use motor oil on the cylinder walls.

There's certainly no harm in using loctite on con rod bolts, but it is probably
not necessary.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org