Re: [T3] Fuel Trouble

On 28 Apr 2002, at 17:24, Bryan "bc" Castles wrote:

> Okay, I have posted a lot related to my rough running lately, and I still
> need just a few hints (hey, I'm new to fuel injection).  Okay here is the
> recap:  '73 Square, FI, Manual.  Plugs had been replaced right before I got
> it, fuel pump was 6 mo. old.  New fuel filter and newly resealed tank.  Plus
> a list member (thanks Robb) helped me turn down the fuel pressure to a
> "within acceptable" range.

It's running rich. What pressure was "within acceptable?" It should be 30 psi.
It doesn't work to guess at it; you have to actually measure it and set it
correctly.

> The problem:  it runs great cold, not so great hot. When it gets really hot,
> it bucks and kicks at low RPM a lot.  Give it more gas... problem goes away.
> It never really runs rough, it actually acts like it is not getting enough
> fuel. Here's the curve ball though.  The plugs now have lots of carbon on
> them (black) and when it has been giving me trouble for a while I can smell
> gas.  Smells unburned.

Make sure that the hose from the pressure sensor is actually connected to
the intake air distributor; check both ends.

Measure the charging system regulating voltage. It should be 14.1-14.4V
measured at the battery, with the engine warmed up after a drive, at
MEDIUM rpm. If it is below 13.5V replace it with a genuine Bosch.