RE: [T3] Steering Question

On 28 Apr 2002, at 15:29, CAD Man wrote:

> >From: Jim Adney
> >For a fastback I would inflate the tires to 19/27 psi front/rear. No more.
>
> I had read this a few months ago, and followed it with good results in ride
> quality, however, in the interest of debate.....could this not cause the same
> issue that Ford is having with it's deathtraps (sorry no offense to Explorer
> fans ;) whereas a company suggests a lower tire pressure for ride quality than
> the tire manufacturer recommends for it's tires at the detriment of structural
> integrity of the tires?

It's a reasonable question to ask, but the answer is a definite NO. 20 psi for
the fronts is not underinflated at all. The reason is that proper inflation is
related to the load on the tire. Since there is very little load on the front tires
of our cars, they need very little inflation there. In fact, quite the opposite is
true: Anything over 20 psi is overinflated. While this will not cause tire
damage, it will cause poor road holding and handling.

> I recently made a road trip in Nelly of over 1000 miles, after having this
> very debate with my S.O. I decided to compromise and raise the front to 25psi
> and the rear to 30.  My Fasty is lowered 3" in the front with 165/15 Kumhos
> on it and to be honest, she handled like a dream that whole trip.

I'm glad to hear that it didn't disappoint you, but it really would handle better
(and safer) with lower front tire pressure.