[T3] Distributor misalignment?

<x-charset windows-1255>Hi all,

I set out to adjust my valves today, and as usual I was stopped dead by
something before I even got started. It's time somebody wrote a book called
"How to keep your 30 year old Type 3 that stone-age hacks have been messing
about with for the last 25 years alive"

Anyway, to the point. I searched for TDC of cylinder one., and there is
never a situation where the timing marks are at the top and the distributor
rotor lines up with the line in the side of the distributor. The line points
towards the rear right of the car at about 45 degrees. I can line up where I
expected the line to be (pointing to the front right of the car at about 45
degrees) with the timing marks. There is (I think) a situation where the
bottom of the pulley (the center of the three bridged teeth) lines up with
the notch.

I conclude from this that the distributor is misaligned somehow. Can anyone
tell me whether I have misunderstood something or what I need to do about
it? The amazing thing is that the car runs and idles really well, and
frankly, I am tempted to leave well enough alone. How would I adjust the
valves in this situation, without messing with the distrbutor?

BTW, I did connect up a digital tach-dwell meter (several days ago, the
engine is stone cold now) and it read 47.8, which I understand is well
within spec.

Regards,

Daniel