RE: [T3] converting a 6v generator to 12v

On 26 Apr 2002, at 14:17, CAD Man wrote:

> Yes, I'm perfectly aware that my 6v system is doing a fine job of powering
> my car and existing equipment along it's merry way, but having not had much luck
> finding an am/fm 6v radio + it'd be nice to see (better) at night I'm back to
> considering converting.

I'm sure it's possible, but I also suspect that the reliability of the job would
depend on the care with which it was done. I suspect that it would be much
easier to get an unreliable job than a reliable job.

It might be just about the same cost, and much more rewarding in the long
run to find a '60s AM/FM/SW Blaupunkt which was 6/12V, +/- ground.

Or just replace the fan housing and use a later standard 12V generator so
that you still have stock, commonly available, known reliable parts.

My preference would be for the Blaupunkt, since changing over to 12V
involves a LOT of stuff, some of which most convertees never get around to.
The wiper motor is a good example of this.