RE: [T3] tranny goo

<x-charset windows-1252>Ken -

Check the List archives for more information, but....

basically, our manual trannies need GL-4, not GL-5.  The normal GL-5 has been shown to attack the brass in our synchros.  There is apparently a version of GL-5 that is brass synchro friendly, but I don't remember the specifics of it.  I was not able to find GL-4, so opted for synthetic gear oil, Royal Purple brand.  The synthetic does not nhave the additives that attack the brass in the synchros and is rated for both GL-4 and GL-5.  It is more expensive, but you only need three quarts and only change it every 30,000 miles or more.

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI Auto Fasty (Jane)
'66 Square (???)