From: jbowen7@aol.com [mailto:jbowen7@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 9:55 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] POR 15 Question, IMPORTANT

Robbie Hattaway wrote: "Por-15 will not adhere to metal unless it has a coat
of rust to bond to."

This is so incorrect.

POR15 directions state that rusted or sandblasted metal is best (surfaces
with "tooth") to paint w/POR15.  Smooth metal should be treated with "Metal
Ready" before paining with POR15.  Metal Ready is an etching solution w/zinc
phosphate.

BTW, I'm using POR15 products with my restoration efforts.  The stuff is
AMAZING.  It self levels when brushed on and dries hard as rock.  I was
attempting to install the pedal assembly in my Square, when I dropped my
ratchet wrench onto my newly POR15'd floorpan (which was stripped to bare
metal and treated with metal ready).  I thought "damn, there's the first
chip."  NOT.  I couldn't find a scratch, let alone a chip.
The stuff is incredible.  No, I don't work for the company.  :)

Hope this dispels any myths.

Jim Bowen
Round Rock, TX
'72 Square