Re: [T3] Ignition issues

On 17 Apr 2002, at 19:45, Max & Millie Grindstaff wrote:

> Occasionally, the ignition doesn't crank the car up.  The light, radio,
> wipers and everything else will operate, but it's as if the ignition isn't
> engaging all the way---I'll wait a hour/10 minutes or a day and it'll crank
> right up.  There isn't a charging issue, it definitely definitely feels to
> me (and I isn't no expert) ignition-related.

I think you're talking about a starter or starting system problem, not an
ignition problem.

Could be a problem getting juice to the starter or a problem within the starter.

If it is an automatic, try wiggling the shift lever WHILE holding the key in the
START position. If this does it, then it is the neutral safety switch which is
mounted on the side of the shift lever. Also try starting in both P & N.

It could be the ignition switch itself.

It could be the brushes in the starter need to be replaced.

Or it could be any of the wiring between these three devices.

It could also be a problem in the battery connections. When you turn the key
to START (when it fails) do the dash idiot lights stay on or go off?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054