Re: [T3] Oil Pressure Woes

On 17 Apr 2002, at 12:27, jamesc wrote:

> Just wanted to give an update on a problem I asked about here 2 months ago.
>
> My issue was that in my highly modifed Type I engine in my 66 Fastback, I was having
> overheating and oil pressure problems.   When the car was cool, oil pressure was around
> 80psi at idle.  When the oil heated up, it went down to zero with the oil pressure
> warning light on.

What have you done to deal with the cooling air problems of a type 1 engine
in a type 3 body?

> I was running a melling 30mm pump with a gene Berg pressure relief valve to an
> external oil filter and cooler.

Do the Melling pumps still have an iron body? If so, these have a known
problem with the fact that they expand less than the case and tend to leak at
the junction. I don't know how much of an oil pressure problem this would
make, but it contributes something. Still, a 30mm pump is HUGE and is
likely to be able to overwhelm almost any flaw.

> 1) Had to removed the Berg Oil pressure relief cover and have it polished until it was
> smooth.  It may have been allright but was too rough for my liking.

Just the face? Was it leaking there? Like you say, it was probably fine. The
Blanchard ground finish on these certainly looks a bit rough, but they've
worked fine (as in no leaks) for me.

I suspect that a certain amount of surface roughness is important there to
keep a gasket from migrating away in time. I really don't know what it should
be, but rather coarsely finished sealing surfaces are common here and seem
to work. I would avoid a highly polished finish.

> 2) The Berg Oil Pressure Relief cover had been incorrectly assembled at their factory.
> A second hand washer of the wrong size was used which pinched and ripped the sealing o-
> ring and washer. I had it dismantled and reassembled with correct sized washers.

Did this just make it leak, or do you think that it made the relief valve trip
prematurely? This doesn't seem consistent with getting 80 psi at idle. I also
don't see how this might cause a temp dependent problem, which was your
original symptom.

Little things like this are both hard and disappointing to find, especially so
when they come from Berg.

While I'm pleased that you seem to have your problems solved, I've got to
wonder if there is still a cooling system problem, since that's what your
symptoms seem to point to.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org