From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Subject: Re: [T3] how to tell?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:09:46 -0500

On 16 Apr 2002, at 18:10, Daniel Baum wrote:

 > Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am ... ) but in markets where it was
 > called the Variant, this was the official VW name and was written on the
 > script on the back of the car, after a certain date. "Squareback",
though,
 > was never more than a nickname, like "Beetle"

While there was never a script with the word squareback (or fastback or
notchback, for that matter) the Squareback and Fastback were sold in the
US under those names. This is what VW officially called them here.

 > I have never lived in a country where it wasn't called a Variant, so I am
 > not sure about this.

I don't know why they changed it here. I always liked the Variant name, but
suppose that had more to do with its seeming more "exotic."

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054