Re: [T3] My mis-matched FI

On 15 Apr 2002, at 12:19, Drake . wrote:

> I called Python Injection, they said that the pressure sensor I have "is for
> 72-73 vw" This is according to the python part number that is on the unit.
> Does that sound right? I believe that Jim had said or implied that the 72
> and 73 pressure sensors were different.

The 72-3 PSs are the same.

> So...71 block, 73 brain, 68-71 fan, 70 dist with #265 vacuum arm, and 72-73
> pressure sensor. Right now I have the timing set to 5 btdc or as close as I
> could get it. I dont have a variable timing light so I set the timing a
> little before the 7.5 btdc mark on the fan. If the timing is set any lower
> than that I am pretty sure the engine would die. Idle is about 800 now +/-
> 50.

You're timing it like a 73, which is what I would do. Did you re check the
TVS? Maybe you need to pull the brain out and check all the connections
thru the brain connector and back. Maybe something isn't really connected.
This is EASY if you have the real FI tester, but it can certainly be done with
a VOM.

> I think what I need to do is get one of the guys in my area that has an FI
> system on their car drive/listen to mine so I can get an experienced
> opinion.

Things to check: fuel pressure, charging voltage (I think you've done that),
injector spray patterns, verify that vac adv. AND mech advance are both
working smoothly. If none of these pan out, you're stuck with testing by
substitution: brain, PS, FI trigger contacts, ....

As others have mentioned, it is easy for things to have gotten messed up in
the last 30 years, so this can be quite a puzzle, expecially if you're starting
out from "ground zero." If you can find someone in your area with a 72 or 73
that is working well, that would probably be a big help.

Where are you located?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org