Re: [T3] vac connections for AT

On 15 Apr 2002, at 9:09, Iamkeen@aol.com wrote:

> the time has come, the walrus said...
> to replace the vacuum lines between my engine and auto trans.
> what's in place now : 2 short rubber lines from each intake manifold, each
> pair tees into another rubber line, which butts to a long metal cross-tube,
> which tees off to the rubber line to the tranny.
> Is this the OE setup?

This is the latest setup. I don't know what difference it made to have the twin
ports on both sides, as earlier versions only had one. Both versions use the
hard like across the front and these are often lost when carbs are sold, so if
you take it off, sell it, don't throw it away as it's somewhat valuable.

Myself, I'd think that the nicely bent hard tube would look much neater than a
loopy hose. None of these fittings need hose clamps. If the hose is properly
sized and in good shape it should seal vacuum just fine without them. The
hose clamps weren't there originally, but they are a sign of someone
desperately looking for a solution to a problem which they thought might be a
vacuum leak. Just replacing the hose and removing the hose clamps should
make things look quite a bit neater.

The hose to the AT doesn't need to be any longer than necessary to simply
reach.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org