re: 73 clock

On 12 Apr 2002, at 21:16, Plk554@aol.com wrote:

> The late model solid state type III clock usually fails in the plastic
gears,
> not the electronics.  There is one small bevel gear that cracks and then
free
> spins on the shaft. If you find one that starts and runs for a bit with the
> hands moving and then stops... it is due to dirt. Clean it with a liquid
> cleaner such as a few have advised, let it dry over night (important) and
try
> it again in the morning.

I've seen this gear that slips on the shaft, but there are very positive
stops on
its travel. It appears to me that it is intended to move. Even when my eyes
were better, I was never able to see any crack there, and I spent a lot of
time
looking. That part certainly has me puzzled.

Why do you emphasize letting it dry overnight? Just to make sure that all
traces are gone?

Yes Jim, the gear is a bit of a mystery... I have made the same observations
as you have. I have seen several of the gears actually cracked enough to
stick a small screwdriver into the crack and break off the gear from the
shaft. The rest of the time it appears that nothing is wrong with the gear
but it still seems to just free spin.

My recommendation for the clock to air dry overnight is to have traces of the
cleaner evaporate... it can short out the circuit when it is still wet.
Depending on the cleaner some stays on for several hours. In the excitement
of the moment after cleaning you want to test the clock... but if it is still
wet... you get the picture.

> All of the late model clocks have a metal back (not plastic) and the face is
> painted black, not gray.

At least SOME of the '71 gray faced clocks came with the late works.

Yes Jim you are right about the 71 gray faces... I should have said Late 72
and 73 have the black faces. Most of the late model clocks I see are black
face though.

> I get about 3 out of 10 of the late model clocks working again and out of
> those 3 only 2 will work after a few months.  You can use an early
mechanical
> clock and just paint the front metal bezel Simi-flat black, or you can swap
the
> one from the later clock... lens should work too.

Your rate of success has still been better than mine.

I think it is the alignment of the planets with the power output of my Flux
Capacitor that makes my rate that high......:+) .....  it is all luck and
southwest dry weather clocks that I think  makes the rate that high. There
are times though that I will do 15 in a year and only a few end up working.
On older clocks I usually have luck with 4 out of 5. Thetas when the Flux
Capacitor has just had the Neutron brake fluid replaced... it is sorta like
Cobalt Blinker Fluid........ ;+)