Re: [T3] Fuel smell

On 12 Apr 2002, at 8:52, Daniel Baum wrote:

> > Not sure what you mean here. Does your 69 34 have the fuel filler in the
> > fender, or is it inside the trunk. If the former, then you may have to
> infamous
> > overflow hose that is always cracked. Otherwise, check the hoses
> > underneath for wetness.

> Well, I'm still not quite sure what's going on. I have now replaced both the
> upper and lower rubber parts of the overflow hose.
>
> Yesterday I found my tank was empty. I suspect that the petrol evaporated
> through the upper rubber pipe. There was not much to start with, possibly 1
> or 2 litres. The weather is getting hottish now, about 25 degrees, and I
> think that is a factor in the smell getting stronger now.

The hose you have is different from the overflow hose I mentioned. I'm not
familiar with your system, so I really don't know where you might get such a
fuel loss.

This seems like too much for evaporation, even on a hot day. Your
description sounds more like an intermittent gauge connection, but I'm just
guessing here.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org