[T3] fuel pump

i am trying to get my fb to start, but the fuel
delivery isn't happening.  i put a new fuel pump in
(the old didn't work at all, even when out) and
replaced all the fuel lines in the front of the car.
i can't find my bently manual anywhere, so i can't
find the specs for the power requirements on the fuel
pump.  with the car off, my digital autoranging meter
reads about 1/2 v.  when power is on, i get a overload
(the voltage goes out of range) that quickly falls
back to about 1/2 v.  is this correct operation, or is
a relay bad?

                 thanx!
                      matt neumiller
                      72 Fastback w/ FI and autotranny