RE: [T3] Rose joints

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Speaking from my own experience only.
The carb linkage is a weak point and the one that's
hardest to replace, particularly the linkage from the
top of the carb to the bottom. None of the linkage is
included with a new carb purchase, I know, I bought a
set way back when.

The ball joints wear out and occasionally will pop apart,
leaving you with one functional carb! Unlike the ones on
Van der Jeught Bert's carbs, originals have nothing but
a knob of metal against a cavity of metal, no bearings
at all of any material. Grease is your friend. There is
a circlip within the female portion that snaps over the
male portion, in an attempt to stay together. I would
hate to have to find a replacement for that circlip, it
would be a nightmare to replace, though I have had to
bend then a bit to hold a smaller knob.

This all tends to result in sloppy carb action, but since
the accelerator is always in tension, it will settle into
a good position while driving. Coming down from idle, and
back up can be a bit inconsistent. Idle or at throttle is
fine, the transition might be a bit rough.

As for setting the linkages (going from memory, and it's
been years since I've done it). Attach tach, run engine.

1) Set the low  idle with no throttle (duh), assuring that
none of the linkages pull on the carb end. Everything
should be loose, or at least no tension.
Use Unisyn to sync carbs.

2) Set at high idle. I use a 13mm wrench on the center nut
of the pivot where the accelerator cable attaches. I add
a piece of wire to the other end of the wrench and pull on
the wire to get to high idle (900RPM???) and wrap the wire
around one of the nuts on the rear of the engine hole. You
can bend the wire a bit to fine tune the idle RPM.
Use Unisyn to check flow, and adjust the length of the right
hand throttle linkage with 6 & 7mm open wrenches. Check with
Unisyn and repeat until flow is equal at high idle.
3) repeat step 1, to confirm idle is the same. If not repeat
the remainder of step 1 & 2 again.

Why should you have to repeat step 1 again, you ask?

I think I remember that the adjustments to the carb itself
is only done at idle, not at high RPM, but while adjusting
high RPM, Murphy steps in and messes with things, and a lot
of the time, the low idle changes, and needs to be reset.

I would like to find out what parts, and where one can get
the parts that Van der Jeught Bert used. They look great as
a upgrade and replacement for the stock linkages.

I would love to find a way to set something on the carbs,
and be able to leave it there throughout the carb sync
process, so I don't have to be jumping from one carb to
the other, adjust this and that, jump back again from one
carb to the other, and all the time hoping that I seat the
Unisyn the same on each carb, the same each time.

Jeff  '67 Sqbk