Re: [T3] Low power until the engine warms up

On 10 Apr 2002, at 12:35, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> >Good (5 ATDC). Valves OK. Idle 800.
>
> Is this correct.  According to Bentley the 72 FI should be timed at 5 BTDC.
> Then again in the timing specs at http://www.hallvw.clara.net/type3ign.htm
> <http://www.hallvw.clara.net/type3ign.htm>  it depends on your engine
> number.  But I do not think it is ever 5 ATDC.  My 72 is having a similar
> problem and I am at 5 BTDC.

You're right, it's 5 BTDC with the idle set and the vacuum hoses
disconnected. When you put the vacuum hoses back on you will find it close
to 5 ATDC, due to the vacuum retard.

Once again I want to warn anyone with a 72 not to try to time your engine
without the Bentley manual.

> On a related point, does vacuum hoses disconnect and plugged mean:
> disconnected from the ignition distributor and plugged (so they are still
> connected to the air distributor) or disconnected from the air dist and
> plugged (still connected to ignition dist and plugged)? Anybody able to
> clear this up?

Of the type 3s that I'm familiar with (68-73 FI), the 72 is the ONLY one that
you have to remove the hoses from, and on that one you only have to remove
the green retard hose. On ALL the others you can do it either way and it
makes no difference. In no case is there any benefit to plugging anything.

In fact I've never seen an engine that cared if you plugged anything, even if it
needed to have the hose removed. There's just too little air going thru there to
make a perceptable difference.

It's easy to tell if you need to unplug your hose: Just let it idle (at the proper
speed) and pull off the hose. If the idle doesn't change at all, then there is no
difference between the 2 states and you can do it whatever way you prefer.
This works, because the idle speed is VERY sensitive to advance, so any
change in advance will give you a change in idle speed.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054