Re: [T3] Thermostat dumb question

On 9 Apr 2002, at 21:17, joemevans wrote:

> My car no longer has that thermostat. The flaps are also gone grom the
> cooling tin. Will this hurt my car or is it ok to have it cool the cylinders
> all of the time?

Engine wear is fastest during warmup. This will prolong warmup and increase
the rate of wear. On many trips, the engine will never warm up. The amount
of difference it will make depends on your climate. In Sandy Eggo it will last
5 years, in Jesse Ventura country it will last a year and a half. If you promise
never to start it up unless the temp is over 90F you'll probably get almost a
full lifetime out of it.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org