[T3] Ignition Timing Question ( a bit long)

                     I was in the process of setting
the timing, this evening, on my 67 Fastback. I noticed
something that I thought was very odd. Ok, before I get
ahead of myself, when I initially set up the carbs, I
set the idle RPM a bit high (1200-1500rpm) to help
break in the cam. Once the engine was run-in, I synced
the carbs with a unisyn, still at this relativly high
idle rpm. Tonight I decided I'd set the timing via
light and lower my idle to app. 750rpm, then re-sync.
My Haynes lists timing for my 67 as 7.5 degrees BTDC
with the vaccum hose disconnected. When I disconnected
and plugged the vaccum advance line, my rpm's shot down
to app. 700-800 and the car idled flawlessly. This, of
course, indicates that there is vaccum on that line
@idle. Is my assumption that there is something wrong
here, correct? Every vehicle I've ever worked on had no
vaccum signal at idle and only showed some off-idle. Is
it because I have my carbs idled up? Should I set my
idle with the hose connected? It has the stock 67
(vaccum advance only) distributor and the stock 67
32 PDSIT's. The distributor's vaccum can holds vaccum
just fine, as my timing shot back up to app. 25-30
degrees once the line was reconnected and the idle shot
back up to the 1200-1500rpm as well. I'm a tad confused
here. I think it's because of the high idle and will
be fine once I idle the car down, hence the carb
butterfly will close off the port for vaccum advance
signal, but I'm not 100% positive. Help me out here
guys, this is a fresh rebuild and I don't want to
damage it with excessive timing.

Thanks a bunch,
Marc
1967 Fastback (closer to a driver every day)

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com