Re: [T3] red needle clock

On 9 Apr 2002, at 2:50, Greg Merritt wrote:

> 	With the cover and solenoid off, I can't yet tell why it doesn't
> want to tick.  I'll have to look at it in better light.  If anybody has
> suggestions, let me know.

Check the various pivot holes for gunk and wear. I've seen these holes worn
into slots 1/16" long, which meant the clock was shot. Sometimes just dirt
can get in there enough to make things sticky.

>  By the way -- this June '63 clock doesn't appear to have been
> designed with the internal fuse.  (If it's there, it's not in the same
> place as the 12V mechanical clocks.)

IIRC, it is on the side of the solenoid layer, at least on the 12V units. It's
certainly possible that the fuse is a later innovation. The 12V rear covers
always had a tape sticker on them which warned, in German, not to use
anything other than the proper low melting point solder to repair this fuse.

At least you should have a fuse now that you've swapped in the 12V solenoid.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054