Re: [T3] Questions before buying a '68 Squareback

On 7 Apr 2002, at 20:49, David Templeton wrote:

> hey - I'm looking at buying a '68 Squareback that has 10K on a rebuilt
> engine, and a new transmission being rebuilt right now. I haven't owned a VW
> since my '70 Camper almost 20yrs ago.
>
> What should I be looking for? Rust areas, engine compartment, etc.? What are the
> typical problems with these cars? I'm not a mechanic, but was planning on taking
> the car to one.

2 recommendations:

Look for rust: at the rear of the front wheel wells and the front of the rear
wheel wells. Pull up the carpet and the back seat and look inside these 2
points, too.

Be skeptical of any rebuilt engine. They are often done poorly and are a
worse buy than an worn old original engine. Be concerned about any engine
which has been "improved" by the previous owner. It MAY be fine, but it may
also be junk and you will spend lots of time figuring out exactly what he did.
Note that a US 68 would have originally been fuel injected. If this one is not,
then you really need to find out everything you can now about the conversion:
carbs, jets, distributor, timing. Get it in writing. You can't get it from us later
because only the person who did it knows exactly what he did.