Re: [T3] Auto trans leak

<x-charset windows-1255>Interesting.

It's certainly not a big leak. I have placed a pan underneath and will leave
it for a few days to see whether it catches anything. I attempted to check
the level under the right conditions. I don't think I overfilled it. Someone
else, who knows what he's talking about (I hope), checked it and said it's
not overfilled. However, if I did overfill it, would it be likely just to
leak a little bit and then stop, or would it burst a gasket and then need
fixing?

I'll see if I can isolate more exactly where the leak is coming from.

I understand from your message that leaks are not exactly unusual on the
automatics.

Regards,

Daniel Baum

> Several places to look for a leak on the automatic.
> The o'ring on the end of the dip-stick tube where it goes into the
> trans.
> O'ring around the governor cover.
> Pan gasket.
> Torque converter seal.
> O'ring/gasket between transmission and differential.
>
> There is are some things to remember about checking the ATF on our
> automatics.
> Check it with the trans at operating temperatures.
> Check it with the engine running and in neutral.
> Check it on level ground.
> The distance between the marks on the dipstick is only about 1 pint.
> Don't overfill the transmission or it might leak.
>
> --
> Russ Wolfe
> '66 FB MT (It drove)
> '71 FB AT