Re: [T3] Weird distributor problem

On 4 Apr 2002, at 19:10, The Canadian wrote:

> The gap is set to .016 and is opening and closing as it should.  The points look
> good  BUT there is no fluctuation in resistance when the points open and close.
> I am getting continuity no matter what...  What does this mean?

It means that something shorted somewhere. When the points are open
there should be no connection to ground thru the coil. You have to
disconnect the wire from the coil to measure this, however. If you have the
wire off and still always measure continuity, then disconnect the point wire
from the cap and see if that fixes it. If so the problem is in the points.

Just look at things carefully. Is there something out of place? Is the end of
the spring hitting against the side of the dist? Follow the current path and
find out where this is shorted.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org