[T3] Weird distributor problem

<x-charset iso-8859-1>63 Notch single carb and FI distributor

I set my valves the other day and I don't know what I did wrong...   I've
done it dozens of times before.  Everything seemed way off and when I
finshed up did the points and timing the car barely ran and the valves
sounded extremely loose.  The next day I reset the valves and timing.  This
time the car wouldn't run at all but the valves sounded better.  The bnxt
day I tried again but only had to check my valve clearances since they all
came out at .006".  Retimed it and still no start.

OK so I tried a different distributor, the old gutless vacuum advance one I
used to use.  I had to switch the plug wires around since it sits on the
engine differently but once I had 1-4-3-2 and timed it to 10 degrees it
fired right up and idled nicely.  I swapped the FI diz in again, redid the
wire sequence and timed it.  Again the car wouldn't start.  No cough, no
sputter.   I tried a different condenser at this point but it made no
difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Andre