RE: [T3] Let's Play STUMP JIM!!! :-) the solution...

<x-charset iso-8859-1>After spending some time Saturday looking at the engine (literally) and
getting aquainted with the idea of looking at a Volks motor from above
(still used to my dear old 60 w/36hp).  I decided to take off the air
cleaner.  To do so requires disconnecting the linkage from the right carb,
and when I unsnapped the linkage there seemed to be some tension I wasn't
expecting.  I took another look at the rod and noticed it had a slight bow
to it and pivoted it toward the ball joint on the carb and the rod did not
reach all the way (about 3mm short of fitting).  I straightened the linkrod
and then pivoted it toward the carb and "viola" it fit!!!  It seems that
when the mechanic had pulled the motor he tweaked the rod and therefore the
right carb was getting a bit of throttle, even at idle.

The inverse change with idle started to make sense when I thought about the
action of the choke.  As the choke opens, it allows more airflow into the
carb, mixed with a higher level of gas, it would increase the idle.

Thanks for the guesses, anyone else have another strange one for us?

Allyn de Vars
1962 and 1963 VW 1500 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1967 VW 1600 Squareback (x2)
2001 VW Golf GL TDI