Re: [T3] What causes?

Toughened glass for Type 3 windshields was standard in the UK to the end of
production I think.
I'm glad I don't have to drive on dirt roads much here (except when they
resurface with tar and chippings).  I have never yet lost a windscreen yet
in nearly 40 years of using toughened (uh-oh, I'm taking a chance saying
that!).  My parents lost just one in their driving careers (maybe 100 years
total?), and that was on a 1500S Variant, though I guess pre-war British
cars had laminated screens anyway rather than the newly discovered toughened
ones in the 50s.

I once removed the lifter channel from a driver's side door window, and it
pinched/scraped on the edge of the glass enough to make it explode into
pieces.  I hope I never experience it in a car!  I hear you squirt some
water from the washer to fill the cracks to see!  In fact the zone
toughening makes it easier to see - not as fine shards across the centre
area.  You can't really drive with it like that without it falling into your
air vents anyway.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/